Thursday, September 11, 2008

Veggie King, King Pommes, Tomato Ketchup and Coke at Zurich Airport


...sounds pretty mundane to everyone who is reading this post? Well...not so soon. There is a story in this title too. So I am at Zurich airport and see my first Burger King in Switzerland. I am pretty sure there would be nothing veggie there but I decide to try my luck...so I go through the menu and to my delight, I find something called a Veggie King. I make sure with the guy at the counter and he confirms...so quick questions from him...you want fries? Yes...Tomato Ketchup or Mayonnaise? Tomato Ketchup...Coke? Yes....very good. I am all set for 13 Swiss Franks. By the way, I am kind of surprised by the preciseness of the questioning...are they trying to save money from people who waste Ketchup by taking tonnes of sachettes???? You never know what solution a consulting company might have puked out!!

The big surprise comes when I take a bite into the burger. I was expecting a soy patty like the one you get in US in the name of veggie burger. Not here...this one is a crisp mix veggie( potatoes, peas, kidney beans and carrot) burger and I am reminded of the wonderful veggie burger you can have in India in McDonald's. To the grief of all vegetarians, McDonald does not have anything veggie in their menu outside India. I am beginning to wonder how long it would be before they introduce at least a couple of items from their menu in India around the world. I have come across enough veggies especially in big cities in US and I am sure it is just a matter of time...

1 comment:

Vishal Grover said...

You haven't been to the UK! McDonalds and pretty much everyone has veggie (and halal if you prefer) options on the menu.