Sunday, November 22, 2009

Made in America


This entry has been in the offing for almost 10 months now. I was in cold Detroit in January and at the airport, I am standing at the urinal. As I start taking a leak, I see a penny at the bottom of the urinal. I feel no inclination to stop discharging and honoring the smallest unit in American currency. What I do wonder is what Sam Walton would have done. In his autobiography, "Made in America" Mr. Walton talks about how he would pick up any penny lying on the road because he respected money so much. Now this is a noble thought from someone whose efforts still fawn billionaires on the Forbes list.

What wonders me is what he would have done for this penny. My bet is despite all his reverence for money god, he would not pick the penny showered with urine from multiple men. That brings us to an interesting point. While certain thoughts impress you and make you feel good that such big people were so humble, this humility is still a hostage to situations. This Detroit airport urinal is an example of such a situation. So when you read or see something, like this penny picking habit of Mr. Walton, try to put a perspective around it. Even the big Sam has to pick some pennies and leave some....even if the penny is "Made in America"

No comments: